New Delhi, March 15: At least two gunmen opened fire at two mosques in New Zealand's Christchurch city on Friday, with the police saying that there were "multiple fatalities". Armed police in New Zealand swarmed central Christchurch on Friday amid a shooting at a mosque in the South Island city.
"A serious and evolving situation is occurring in Christchurch with an active shooter," Al Jazeera quoted Police Commissioner Mike Bush as saying. Here are the 10 developments:
1. Mike Bush, New Zealand Police on shooting at a mosque in Christchurch: Four people in custody; one woman, three men. We are still looking at the circumstances around it. Let’s not presume that the danger is gone.
One gunman, believed to be Australian, filmed as he shot victims in the mosque - and wrote a manifesto declaring his intentions, saying that "it is a terrorist attack", according to Bush.
3. Addressing a media conference in New Plymouth, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described the events in Christchurch as "one of New Zealand's darkest days".
5.There were also reports of a third active shooting unfolding outside Christchurch Hospital and and a car bomb in Strickland St, but these two incidents were yet to be verified.
6. Authorities advised people not to go to mosques until further notice. All Christchurch schools are on lockdown. Apart from numerous witness reports of casualties, a reporter following the Bangladesh cricket team, who are currently in New Zealand, tweeted that the team had "escaped from a mosque near Hagley Park where there were active shooters".
7. Player Tamim Iqbal tweeted that the "entire team got saved from active shooters".
8. "All members of the Bangladesh Cricket Team in Christchurch, New Zealand are safely back in the hotel following the incident of shooting in the city. The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is in constant contact with the players and team management," the Bangladesh Cricket Board said on Twitter.
9. Several casualties are feared, as authorities are yet to confirm the exact figure of deceased or wounded.
10. Local media reports suggest that a gunman entered the mosque on Friday and started shooting with an automatic weapon. The shootings took place at the Al Noor Mosque and Linwood Masjid, The New Zealand Herald reported.